Because I wanted tomato basil soup with my taquitos. 😛
- 3 Ripe Roma Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Cooking oil
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 (14.5 oz.) Canned Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Fresh basil
- 1 Cup Chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Wash and pat dry the Roma tomatoes. Cut them in half (lengthwise) and put them in a mixing bowl. Drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some salt and ground black pepper. Toss them.
- Place each halves on the baking sheet and roast in oven for 40 minutes.
- Wash, peel and chop the carrot; Set aside in a bowl. Finely chop the onion and set aside in the same bowl.
- Peel and mince the garlic; Set aside in a small bowl.
- Put 1 Tbsp. of cooking oil in a pot over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and carrots until tender. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, cook for another minute.
- Pour in the canned whole peeled plum tomatoes and chicken broth. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and sugar. Bring to a boil and them simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Remove any visible tomato skin.
- Pour in blender and puree.
- Reheat or serve cool. Enjoy!